Saturday, September 30, 2006

She Was Right

At my mothers wake, my aunt came up to me and said " you will miss her everyday for the rest of your life". She was right. Its only been a year and 1/2, but she is right. She must know this because she lost her mother. I remember looking at her and trying to imagine that, because I have trouble imagining the rest of my life to begin with. There are people that I miss like my grandfather (surprisingly, because I was only five), but there are times that I have cried because I wish he was here with us seeing what we are all like all grown up. I miss my baba, (my fathers mother) and I wish I would have been older when died, I would have liked to sit and talk with her, I have so many questions. My heart still hurts when I think of George, a friend of the family that killed himself. I feel so bad that nobody could reach him to help him, and he must have been in so much emotional turmoil. I miss Patrick and his goofy jokes, and I always notice his absence. These are are fleeting feelings that wash over me, but the hole that this left, that I feel, because my mother is not here to see things seems to stay with me all the time. With every note Justine sings, with every instrument Michael plays I feel the pain of her not being here. Somehow its not comforting knowing that she can see all this and is very proud. I know she would be proud, they didn't even have to be good at something and she cheered them on. I have great memories and so do my kids. I hope the pain lessens as the years go by, my mother always told me I was too emotional and that as I got older I would not be so emotional, but this was the same mother who told me that it was baby fat and I would lose that too. She meant well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This made me cry. Mothers and Daughters have a very special bond. You are lucky to have a daughter...just keep making new memories with her so that when she has a daughter, it's just as wonderful! A piece of your mom will live through each generation. It's like that Martina McBride song, "My Daughter's Eyes".

I can't imagine what it would feel like to lose my mom, so I don't understand what you're feeling. But I know if I imagine her not being here, it cracks my heart right in two. You probably will miss her for the rest of your life...because she loved you all of hers.

Anonymous said...

I read your post last night and it brought a tear to my eye because I too miss your mom. This morning my mom and I had a good hearty laugh about your mirror (sorry again)and it reminded me of the fragility of life and those mother/daughter relationships. I don't have a daughter, so I guess the road ends here for me; that in itself is very sad..hmmmmmmm....treasure your relationship with Pravedna; it's so precious.

Rockstar Mom said...

This was really hard to read because I miss her so much too.