Saturday, January 19, 2008

IT TAKES ALL KINDS

I have been sheltered, I admit it. I have never worked downtown, I worked almost downtown, but that was a long time ago. There are so many different "cultures". Some move fast and some move slow. I am working with a slow moving culture. They are very layed back. No matter what the urgency the speed remains the same. I think I could like this culture, they tell me "don't worry it will get done, don't stress yourself out". I think I needed to be here. My last job was very hectic high stress, there was never a time where you were caught up. Here we have lulls in the schedule where the techs come up and hang out with us for a few minutes and chit chat. Oh some days they are so busy we don't see them, but there are plenty of other days where things move along comfortabley. Yesterday I actually got bored, which is one of the dangers, but after my last job I'll take a couple of boreds. Oh don't get me wrong, there are times when its very busy checking people in and we get our share of angry people, but the pace remains the same.....slow southern way of doing things. I've learned we don't care what the other persons job entails, we don't really want to know or get involved, we just do our job. "oh I don't know what they do up there" is a common response. When I'm bored I check my email, of which I have a total of 4 so far, but afterall it is only my first week. I made a lunch date, well its not finalized, we have to pick a day. Probably Tuesday if you're reading this. 12:30 1:00 ish. I will email you on Monday.

They have a weight watchers group I can join, I am still trying to figure out how to go at 1:30-2:30. I could take my lunch then, can you eat in a weight watchers meeting? I could do that, every Thursday. I'm practicing being layed back about it all and not getting excited. Some of my co workers are slow talkers, I think it helps keep the slow relaxed pace.....when I close my eyes I can feel the rhythm of the day. Its like being on a boat thats adrift and your just floating along, knowing that eventually you will arrive at your destination.

I wanted to slow down my life and get out of the high speed lane. I think I just may have found out how to do that. Rush hour doesn't even bother me. I will write more later, or not. I'm not going to stress about it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sound like you may have found the right place for you! Good!

Anonymous said...

Finally!